SirsiDynix® Symphony® 3.3 Released
July 9th, 2009
PROVO, Utah, July 9, 2009 – SirsiDynix, the world leader in library automation technology, is excited to announce the release of SirsiDynix® Symphony® 3.3. Symphony, the world’s leading integrated library system (ILS), is used by over 2,400 libraries in 47 countries serving more than 150 million users.
In today’s economic environment – with frozen or shrinking budgets – many libraries have to do more with less. This means that the library staff must be more efficient to provide the same levels of service to their patrons. The SirsiDynix Symphony 3.3 release contains a number of features to increase overall staff efficiency, including:
- Acquisitions Vendor Interface Port (VIP) – VIP simplifies the process of ordering materials from VIP compliant vendors and automatically creates bibliographic records for the ordered materials.
- Enhanced Usability Wizards – New task wizards simplify complex or repetitive tasks and make it easier to use the library system.
- Group Item Circulation – The new Group Item Circulation feature simplifies handling of materials for study groups, book clubs and multi-piece kits
- Enhanced Personalization for Users – Users can specify preferred names or privacy-enhancing nicknames and keep permanent reading lists and bibliographies
- Automated Print Options – New automated printing options for items such as workslips and labels, speeds processes for adding new materials to the collection.
- SIP2 Patron Authentication – Libraries can capture remote patron usage data to build usage and funding models
- StaffWeb Client – Symphony StaffWeb has been enhanced to include features for all library types
- Horizon and Dynix Migrations – All SirsiDynix customers will benefit from many new features suggested via enhancement forums along with capabilities inspired by the SirsiDynix Horizon and Dynix platforms
Numerous customers participated in extensive beta testing of Symphony 3.3 during two separate beta testing phases. Symphony 3.3 was also tested in production at customer sites such as Harrisburg Area Community College prior to general availability. Michael Bowden, Director Library Central Services at Harrisburg Area Community College, said “SirsiDynix continues to improve Symphony with the release of version 3.3. While Symphony 3.3 contains many enhancements and corrections, the most significant enhancement for many libraries will be the refactoring of patron names, including the use of a preferred name. Symphony’s tools will allow each library to decide how they want to implement this capability.”
Berit Nelson, Vice President of Strategic Library Development at SirsiDynix, stated, “The enhancements that we have introduced in Symphony 3.3 will help libraries increase staff efficiency and provide a greater level of customer service – something that is critical in these times of increased patronage and reduced budgets.”
For more information about SirsiDynix Symphony 3.3, contact your SirsiDynix sales consultant or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
SirsiDynix is the global leader in strategic technology solutions for libraries – vital institutions whose primary mission is to make sense of the vast world of information for people and communities. This is an exciting role as libraries assist people in discovering and using knowledge, resources and other valuable content for their educations, jobs and entertainment. In concert with key industry partners, SirsiDynix supports this strategic role for libraries by offering a comprehensive integrated suite of technology solutions for improving the internal productivity of libraries and enhancing their capabilities for meeting the needs of people and communities. SirsiDynix has approximately 4,000 library and consortia clients, serving more than 300 million people through more than 20,000 library outlets in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. For more information, please see www.sirsidynix.com.